Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thankful

This Thanksgiving marks a new tradition for me. It will be the first time in my life that I won't feel the drowsy effects of tryptophan after gorging on turkey. I am pretty sure that my mouth will water when I enter the house smelling of roasting meat and sizzling gravy. However, this Thanksgiving, I am going to be thankful that I had to opportunity to visit the beautiful haven that is Farm Sanctuary in upstate New York. I avoided learning the facts about this country's meat production for years. I knew, simply, that if I exposed myself to the truth, I would never be able to eat meat again. And, well...I love(d) meat! But, in the end, I couldn't hold out anymore and I am thankful that I finally got the guts to open my mind and listen to the horrors that we call "factory farming".

I am not going to sit and spout out all the reasons why eating meat isn't healthy; can be quite dangerous; and frankly, is a very cruel way of living. However, if someone asks me, I will certainly share what I know. This thanksgiving, I am thankful to have a mind and the ability to choose what I eat. So many are not as fortunate and are grateful to have rice, a piece of bread (or perhaps a chicken nugget made of processed chicken parts).

When I see Mr. Tom Turkey laying on my family's table glistening with a fresh basting of his own juice, I will be thankful that my family can afford to buy a turkey and can sit down together for a feast. Thanksgiving shouldn't be a time to pass judgments or ridicule those who like eating flesh; it should be a time of togetherness; of wine and good food; of story sharing; of laughter; and most of all, it should be about being thankful.

Thanks, Mr. Turkey

You are absolutely beautiful and grand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely post and lovely thoughts. Hope you and your family had a wonderful time together. xo M